Literature on the Council of Europe in German can be found at Literatur über den Europarat
Edited by two professors of law, this book offers comprehensive information on the functioning of the Council of Europe: its primary and secondary law, its institutional structure and its wide field of activities.
Some of the chapters are written by practitioners working within the Council of Europe adding an inside view to the academic discussion.
Aline Royer: The Council of Europe
Gauthier de Beco (editor): Human Rights Monitoring Mechanisms of the Council of Europe. Routledge; Abingdon and New York 2012.
The Council of Europe has developed various monitoring mechanisms over the years. In this book, a number of specialists describe and asses the following non-judicial and non-political human rights monitoring mechanisms:
- The Commissioner for Human Rights
- The European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT)
- The European Committee of Social Rights
- The Advisory Committee on the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities
- The European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
- The Committee of Experts of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages
Lanna Hollo: The European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) – Its first 15 years. Council of Europe Publishing; Strassburg 2009.
In her book, she provides the reader with information on ECRI’s foundation and early years; its three-pronged work programme; its contribution to legal standards as well as its opinion on some of the most important contemporary topics.